To a nature lover, hill stations are inescapable. In the northernmost territory of West Bengal, there lie jaw-dropping hill stations ideal for a nature retreat. Pack your bag, get an extensive tour guide, and begin your journey to explore the unexplored. If you’ve come here before, such destinations always remain pristine to the senses.
Hill stations are exclusively romantic. For newlyweds, these places bring the ultimate delight. For thrill-seekers, these regions are absolutely adventurous. This blog tells you some of the great locations perched in Darjeeling and Gangtok. Choose or personalize a Darjeeling Gangtok tour package to make the most of your trip.
In order to reach Darjeeling, take a train up to New Jalpaiguri Railway Station. From NJP, this town is about 73 km away. Take prebooked/shared taxicab. Or you go for the buses. Road rides approach incredible sightseeing. Bagdogra airport is the nearest airport to the Queen of Hills. The distance between these two locations includes 76km.
On the other hand, the distance from Bagdogra to Gangtok is around 123 km. And from New Jalpaiguri Railway Station, it’s around 118 km. You may prefer Darjeeling first or Gangtok first. Best to listen to your tour guide for a seamless journey. Trip itineraries look after transport, accommodation, destination tour, recreational activity, et al.
Some exquisite places to explore in Darjeeling:
- Tiger Hill. The unspoiled sunrise at Tiger Hill with the exceptional sights of Mount Kanchenjunga and Mount Everest is matchless. You have to reach here by 4:15 am.
- Batasia Loop. A stunning loop created by the Toy Train lowers the gradient of the ascent of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Station. This is one of the most stunning places in the town.
- Rock Garden. Nestled at natural waterfall, called Chunnu Summer Falls, and a beautiful park, called Ganga Maya Park, Barbotey Rock Garden offers astounding mountainous landscapes.
- Japanese Peace Pagoda. It’s an iconic Buddhist Temple designed to establish peace and help folks unite in the search for world peace. Ensure you visit this sacred place, especially if this is your first visit to Darjeeling.
Some stunning sites to explore in Gangtok:
- Rumtek Monastery. A visit to this monastery fills your journey with bliss. This Buddhist monastery referred to as the Dharma Chakra Centre stands out as one of the largest and most remarkable sacred sites in the state of Sikkim.
- Nathula Pass. One of the best mountain passes in the world, Nathula Pass sits in the Dongkya Range on the mighty Himalayas. It comes between Sikkim and West Bengal, India, and Yadong Country in Tibet. For adventure seekers, this destination is beyond compare.
- Tsomgo Lake. Also called Changgu Lake, this glacial lake deserves a must-visit and is around 40 km away from the capital of Sikkim, Gangtok. The entire lake becomes frozen during winter.
- MG Marg. Mahatma Gandhi Marg, shortly termed MG Marg is the main pedestrian road in Gangtok. The entire area is smoke-free and traffic-free. An ideal place for savouring food, shopping, clicking pictures, sitting, and enjoying the ambiance.
There are further wonderful places to tour in these hill stations. Get your combined holiday package and relish your exploration to the hilt. Taste the local foods as having regional cuisine pleasure makes your trip wholesome.